Tuesday, August 24, 2021

The Everly Brothers

 


I was resting and reading on a Sunday and there it was, “Don Everly of the Everly Brothers duo has died.”Most know Don was the black-haired brother. I was a grade school kid when I first heard them.My feet stood in the country music roots of my father but branched out with the times through and past Elvis into the new world of rock.

I always felt like the Everly Brothers bridged that transition with an almost ethereal presence of chromosomal harmonies.I first watched them on a tv show called “Shindig” standing there in the spotlight on a darkened stage.

 Their practically gaunt faces, slicked back hair, high cheek bones and flashing eyes,  voices like angels, singing “All I Have to Do “ felt to me like a running stream.Don seemed to harbor deep pain as his brother watched cautiously while holding the harmony.

When a song ended, I always wanted more.I realize as I reflect now I never talked about it much with anyone, but it seemed like Don Everly was wise with pain.

Maybe when you have a moment, google “The Everly Brothers”.  It’ll be best if it’s an early video and then we’ll know something together.Straddling two worlds is a heavy load for anybody.Add drugs and tumultuous, seismological shifts in youth culture and society an you’ve got a heady mix

.Goodbye, Don. Tell Phil we all said hello and thanks to you both for the courage of showing us your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment