Saturday, January 16, 2021

On Violence

 


                                                                       On Violence

 

I suppose like many boys I first recognized violence in my father. He’d spank you every so often. He and his brothers boxed and played football. 

He left for a while. Our school yard was sort of dirt and rock. Guys would test you. I never really understood why. Seemed like it would be easier to leave folks alone but I had a scrappy Irish temper so if they wanted to test, I had an answer.

We called it “Junior High”. We moved up in neighborhood but not so much disposable income so I didn’t wear the exact right clothes. Tony down the street decided I’d be a good target. First contact, I was walking to the store to get some stuff for Mom.  A group of guys were being loud as I went to past Tony’s driveway.

I spotted the boxing gloves. No surprise … Tony starts hollering at “HEY,  NEW GUY!”

“Let’s see how tough New Guy is!”

I never understood bullies but I was taught to fight back and they’d leave you alone after. I knew it worked so I put on the gloves and squared off with Tony.

He had me by a few pounds and was an early bloomer to my late. Like a dummy I went toe to toe with him because of my temper but it worked out ok. I gave as good as I got so when it was over I got a couple of back slaps and grins and continued on my way. When I came back by they were gone.

It all stuck in Tony’s craw though. I suspect he took some razzing for not being able to finish the skinny new guy. So he called me out at school and we met behind the gym. I hated that … waiting.

The result was the same. I went toe to toe in anger so it was pretty much a draw. That was the end of it.  Guess I should thank Tony. I didn’t have much trouble with anybody after that.

Bars and clubs and the US Navy with two overseas deployments were riddled with violence of all kinds. There’s a picture of me coming home on leave getting my seabag out of Dad’s trunk.

The sweet, fun loving guy is gone.

Cigarette hanging from my mouth, mirror shades and a sly grin tell the story.

Mom said the Navy “ruined me.”

She’d lost her kind, conscientious peace maker and now in his place was a child of violence.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment